Every time we visit the Outer Banks we’re struck by how dog-friendly it is. Most recently we went to Home Depot to pick out new kitchen appliances and we mentioned that our pups were in the car.**
“You should bring them with you next time,” the sales associate exclaimed, “We’re a pet-friendly Home Depot!”
It’s the same story all over the island, from big box stores to mom and pop restaurants with outdoor seating. Even the lawyer’s office that handled our real estate closing had a resident legal beagle. It’s no wonder OBX was named one of America’s best pet-friendly beaches by Travel Channel. Many businesses will leave water bowls out for the passing canine. We find this especially handy when we visit the Soundside Boardwalk in Duck, a stunning 0.35 m. boardwalk that winds through the Currituck Sound, shopping and eating destinations, crabbing and kayak piers, amphitheater and tiny church. Bonus, there’s no dog leash requirement on the beach in Duck!
** Disclaimer: It was 65 degrees on a beautiful January day. You should never leave your dog unattended in a car when there’s a chance heat of stroke or freezing!
Favorite pup hangouts
- The beach – view regulations for dogs on the beach by town
- Kitty Hawk Park Dog Park – requires an application and proof of rabies shots
- Cape Hatteras National Seashore – pets allowed on 6 ft. leash
- Jockey’s Ridge – pets allowed on 6 ft. leash
- OBX Shell Store
- Holistic Pet Shop
- OBX Pet Gallery
- Outer Barks – home to the famous Yappy Hour
- Soundside Boardwalk in Duck
- Outdoor restaurants – Plaza Azteca, Poor Richards, Atlantic Coast Café, Stingwrays, American Pie, Zen Pops and Good Winds all have pet friendly decks and Morning View Coffee House and Roastery allows well behaved dogs. There are many, many others.
- Mellow Dog Gallery and Gifts in Manteo – dogs are welcome to come in and are usually greeted (if they aren’t too busy) with Salty Paws biscuits
- Sound side beach – low waves make this a great choice for (leashed) dogs and kids
- Nags Head Woods Preserve – don’t forget the flea/tick medicine!
- Ocean Bay Multi Use Trail – you can’t miss it, it’s right outside the condo
Our rental is dog friendly
Your furry pals will love our two dog beds and the walking paths that line the buildings. And for your convenience, bowls are provided for water and food and there are special receptacles right outside the building with clean up bags for your pet.
Our pet policy is more generous than most. The pet fee is only $125 plus taxes for your entire stay, and we allow up to three dogs with no weight limits! Look for a copy of our full pet policy when you book your stay with more information.
More about dogs at the beach
- Travel Channel declares OBX among America’s ‘Best Pet-Friendly Beaches’
- Blog Post: ‘Not Quite Ruffing It – A Dog-Friendly Trip to the Outer Banks’
- Pinterest: Dogs of the Outer Banks (Photos)
- Regulations for dogs on the beach by town
- Dogs on the ferry to Ocracoke? Read the discussion